One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the yeti.
- ‘He looks just like that black and white videos I've seen of the last thylacine on Earth, but I know from pictures online during wanders for cryptids that they are actually kind of a dusky brown color, like dingos.’
- ‘Items used in the exhibition will include art on loan, from artists’ and personal collections, and tangible evidence of cryptids from cryptozoologists.’
- ‘This focus on evaluating the evidence for ‘cryptids’ is continued by the International Society for Cryptozoology.’
- ‘This also reminds me a bit of the legend of the orang-pendek, which is a hominid cryptid which some claims still exist in Sumatra.’
- ‘‘You wanted to see a real-life cryptid, and you have,’ she replies, a slight sneer in her voice.’
1990s: from crypto- + -id.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.