One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that prevents the freezing of tissues, or prevents damage to cells during freezing.
- ‘Diplolepis overwinter in a prepupal stage; they are freezing-intolerant and develop cryoprotectants that lower their supercooling points.’
- ‘It is currently believed that effective cryoprotectants for proteins or enzymes in solution are excluded from the immediate vicinity of these biological molecules.’
- ‘Chemicals called cryoprotectants reduce ice formation but have toxic effects that introduce their own problems.’
- ‘Cold hardiness includes both widespread tolerance to freezing and extreme supercooling ability, as well as unusual responses in a few species, such as lack of typical cryoprotectants.’
- ‘This makes it possible for scientists to extract water from the embryo and replace it with a cryoprotectant like ethylene glycol, which prevents the embryo's 40,000 to 50,000 cells from being damaged by ice crystals during freezing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.