Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that prevents the freezing of tissues, or prevents damage to cells during freezing.
- ‘Diplolepis overwinter in a prepupal stage; they are freezing-intolerant and develop cryoprotectants that lower their supercooling points.’
- ‘Cold hardiness includes both widespread tolerance to freezing and extreme supercooling ability, as well as unusual responses in a few species, such as lack of typical cryoprotectants.’
- ‘Chemicals called cryoprotectants reduce ice formation but have toxic effects that introduce their own problems.’
- ‘It is currently believed that effective cryoprotectants for proteins or enzymes in solution are excluded from the immediate vicinity of these biological molecules.’
- ‘This makes it possible for scientists to extract water from the embryo and replace it with a cryoprotectant like ethylene glycol, which prevents the embryo's 40,000 to 50,000 cells from being damaged by ice crystals during freezing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.