One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Velvet which has its nap pointing in different directions in irregular patches.
- ‘He is probably best remembered for splitting his trousers during a performance, an incident that grabbed so many headlines he then made an act of regularly splitting his crushed velvet jumpsuit.’
- ‘I've bought a long deep blue crushed velvet cape and a bright blue Chinese satin jacket.’
- ‘Organza makes a great splash along with tulle, lace, elegant luxury fabrics combined with glittering chantilly, crushed velvet, jersey with lurex and iridescent cady.’
- ‘Her dress is an elaborate, short-sleeved evening gown of crushed velvet.’
- ‘Materials like silver kid and alligator with velvet or crushed velvet linings add luxury touches to grown up footwear.’
- ‘Touchy-feely fabrics such as fur, sheepskin, suede, crushed velvet and silk will dominate, in deep colours reflecting their opulent nature - aubergines, olives, purples and chocolates.’
- ‘The luxury rooms will come complete with space-age bathrooms specially made in Denmark, leather headboards and crushed velvet bedspreads.’
- ‘If you want a pattern of crushed velvet, you can iron the velvet, pile down, over interesting textures, such as rubber stamps & other items.’
- ‘It was then that she realized that it was made of crushed velvet with satin lining.’
- ‘He wore black pants and a crushed velvet coat with a poet shirt on.’
- ‘Or, think about a faux silver fox boa or steel colored crushed velvet shawl for movie star glamour.’
- ‘On to the important questions: where did you get that fabulous black and burgundy crushed velvet cape?’
- ‘A dark stage with one spotlight shinning on a lone figure, a tall slender man wearing a crushed velvet navy blue jacket with a matching top hat.’
- ‘It wasn't really cold outside, but I wore a full-length dress made of thick crushed velvet.’
- ‘These techniques give walls the dramatic effect of crushed velvet, parchment, chamois leather, watered silk or brocade.’
- ‘Am I really ever going to wear a long green crushed velvet dress again?’
- ‘She wore a long, flowing gown of crushed velvet.’
- ‘They are available in yellow, white, and multicolored stripes and come in silk, linen, crushed velvet, Egyptian cotton, cotton sateens, and even cashmere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.