Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Velvet which has its nap pointing in different directions in irregular patches.
- ‘These techniques give walls the dramatic effect of crushed velvet, parchment, chamois leather, watered silk or brocade.’
- ‘A dark stage with one spotlight shinning on a lone figure, a tall slender man wearing a crushed velvet navy blue jacket with a matching top hat.’
- ‘Her dress is an elaborate, short-sleeved evening gown of crushed velvet.’
- ‘I've bought a long deep blue crushed velvet cape and a bright blue Chinese satin jacket.’
- ‘The luxury rooms will come complete with space-age bathrooms specially made in Denmark, leather headboards and crushed velvet bedspreads.’
- ‘She wore a long, flowing gown of crushed velvet.’
- ‘Materials like silver kid and alligator with velvet or crushed velvet linings add luxury touches to grown up footwear.’
- ‘It was then that she realized that it was made of crushed velvet with satin lining.’
- ‘Am I really ever going to wear a long green crushed velvet dress again?’
- ‘If you want a pattern of crushed velvet, you can iron the velvet, pile down, over interesting textures, such as rubber stamps & other items.’
- ‘It wasn't really cold outside, but I wore a full-length dress made of thick crushed velvet.’
- ‘Touchy-feely fabrics such as fur, sheepskin, suede, crushed velvet and silk will dominate, in deep colours reflecting their opulent nature - aubergines, olives, purples and chocolates.’
- ‘He wore black pants and a crushed velvet coat with a poet shirt on.’
- ‘He is probably best remembered for splitting his trousers during a performance, an incident that grabbed so many headlines he then made an act of regularly splitting his crushed velvet jumpsuit.’
- ‘Or, think about a faux silver fox boa or steel colored crushed velvet shawl for movie star glamour.’
- ‘On to the important questions: where did you get that fabulous black and burgundy crushed velvet cape?’
- ‘Organza makes a great splash along with tulle, lace, elegant luxury fabrics combined with glittering chantilly, crushed velvet, jersey with lurex and iridescent cady.’
- ‘They are available in yellow, white, and multicolored stripes and come in silk, linen, crushed velvet, Egyptian cotton, cotton sateens, and even cashmere.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.