Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Dirty, unpleasant, or of poor quality.‘a crummy little room’
unpleasant, disagreeable, nastyView synonyms
- ‘When a band offers to take an off-night at a venue, or open for a crummy band, and can still deliver on a guarantee, they inevitably build momentum.’
- ‘In this age of rotten service, crummy products and seething attitudes, you have accidentally stumbled onto a solution to those woes.’
- ‘Critics have said the film is all style and substance, but for awhile the wild colours and lavish sets assault you so much that you don't notice the crummy dialogue and absence of plot.’
- ‘He writes and that's all he does, occasionally taking a crummy job to keep things going.’
- ‘All I can do in the time available is to offer instruction on the first and most important element of crummy writing, which is (as my title suggests) bad plotting.’
- ‘But for tonight, it's a long-overdue bedtime (as I didn't sleep well at all last night), and a putting of a generally crummy day behind me.’
- ‘I'm having a crummy week so far and it's only Tuesday.’
- ‘Do you do poor work because you have a crummy job, or do you have a crummy job because you do poor work?’
- ‘I've read everything this man has written, with delight: he can't stand crummy design, poor execution, or indifference to the end-user.’
- ‘After reviewing his notes in his crummy little room, The Bank Robber comes up with a Plan.’
- ‘I began going to the local council gym, but I found it unpleasant and crummy so I gave that up too.’
- ‘We've got a good band… and I don't want to be out there just being crummy and a shadow of what we were.’
- ‘Trust me, all of this is lousy, crummy, rotten behavior on your husband's part.’
- ‘I used to live in apartments like that too - but at least they were in the city, close to other things like… well, friends in equally crummy apartments.’
- ‘Heck, he could probably flog you a crummy endowment mortgage and a rubbish personal pension plan.’
- ‘This is the way video art should be viewed - in the comfort of your own home, without the discomfort of the gallery and the need to wear crummy headphones while perched on a bean bag.’
- ‘It really wasn't a bad week, but I have to conclude that it's a crummy Friday night.’
- ‘After some hassles with getting food and crummy weather, I finally get there.’
- ‘They weren't successful, they toured in an old crummy van for 22 years.’
- ‘‘Beth hasn't been over there long enough other than to say that the food is crummy,’ he says.’
- 1.1Unwell.‘I've been feeling pretty crummy the last few days’
unwell, ill, poorly, bad, indisposed, not oneself, sick, queasy, nauseous, nauseated, peaky, liverish, green about the gills, run down, washed outView synonyms
- ‘When teens are depressed, anxious, insecure, angry, frustrated or just plain feeling crummy inside, they often act out as a way of expressing negative feelings.’
- ‘When asked what he thought was making him feel crummy, the young doctor drew a blank.’
- ‘Clearing the air beats sitting home and feeling crummy.’
- ‘Then I began to feel really crummy which we found out a few days later was pneumonia.’
A truck used to transport loggers to and from work.
- ‘The inside of cabooses reflected the conductor's personal habits and the degree of cleanliness varied with some men being noted for spotless vans while others were much less so giving rise to the age old term for vans as ‘crummies’.’
- ‘Sure, this comes at the cost of some additional potential wear and tear on the caboose, but crummies are tough and the learning experience seems worth the price.’
Mid 19th century (earlier in the literal senses ‘crumbly’ and ‘like or covered with crumbs’): variant of crumby.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.