Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of spinnaker that is designed to be more stable but less efficient than a normal spinnaker.
- ‘On the last jibe as we headed into the inlet, we hoisted the cruising chute and felt the boat accelerate.’
- ‘We also had a cruising chute but this seemed to be too small to make much of a difference.’
- ‘Out came the colourful spinnakers and cruising chutes to make the most of the more favourable wind direction and strength.’
- ‘With winds on our starboard side, we put up our big cruising chute, but had an incident that could have had serious consequences.’
- ‘The genoa is roller reefed and a large cruising chute provides power in downwind light conditions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.