One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low-flying missile which is guided to its target by an on-board computer.
- ‘No cruise missile could hit its target with greater precision.’
- ‘Another threat to assured access is the antiship cruise missile.’
- ‘Another potential threat is a cruise missile, or even ICBM, launched from land and targeted at our larger ships at sea by satellites.’
- ‘After all, the long-range cruise missile is nothing more than an unmanned bomber, an autonomous aerial vehicle or, simply put, a robot.’
- ‘Their purpose is not simply to serve as a deterrent but they would be a usable instrument of military power, like a tank, a fighter aircraft, or a cruise missile.’
- ‘The Tomahawk cruise missile carries up to 1,000 lb of high explosive, flies at close to 600 mph, and has a range of 1,000 miles.’
- ‘With one hand on a joystick and eyes on a video screen, a bomb can be dropped here, a cruise missile targeted there.’
- ‘Military analysts said the claimed new weapon could be a hypersonic cruise missile or manoeuvrable warheads.’
- ‘The paper doesn't speculate about the unequal contest between an AK - 47 rifle and a computer-guided cruise missile.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.