One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low-flying missile which is guided to its target by an on-board computer.
- ‘No cruise missile could hit its target with greater precision.’
- ‘Military analysts said the claimed new weapon could be a hypersonic cruise missile or manoeuvrable warheads.’
- ‘Their purpose is not simply to serve as a deterrent but they would be a usable instrument of military power, like a tank, a fighter aircraft, or a cruise missile.’
- ‘The paper doesn't speculate about the unequal contest between an AK - 47 rifle and a computer-guided cruise missile.’
- ‘With one hand on a joystick and eyes on a video screen, a bomb can be dropped here, a cruise missile targeted there.’
- ‘After all, the long-range cruise missile is nothing more than an unmanned bomber, an autonomous aerial vehicle or, simply put, a robot.’
- ‘Another threat to assured access is the antiship cruise missile.’
- ‘The Tomahawk cruise missile carries up to 1,000 lb of high explosive, flies at close to 600 mph, and has a range of 1,000 miles.’
- ‘Another potential threat is a cruise missile, or even ICBM, launched from land and targeted at our larger ships at sea by satellites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.