One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cruciferous plant, with four petals arranged in a cross.
- ‘Black Rot is a devastating fungal disease which infects many vegetable species, especially crucifers.’
- ‘Among plants, the small crucifer Arabidopsis thaliana has an increasingly important role as a developmental model for flowering plants, especially in relation to the genetic basis of plant development.’
- ‘We are studying properties of spontaneous mutation affecting quantitative traits of the annual crucifer, Arabidopsis thaliana.’
- ‘The diamond back moth, Plutella xylostella is much cause for concern as a pest of crucifers, that is plants such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and canola.’
- ‘In the following, we shall present a solution to this problem and apply it to the divergence between the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana and its relatives among the crucifers.’
2A person carrying a cross or crucifix in a procession.
Mid 16th century: from Christian Latin, from Latin crux, cruc- ‘cross’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.