One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A convict.‘a crown labourer could be assigned to a free settler’
- ‘If those 10,000 crown labourers were employed in clearing and fencing farms, they would clear and fence a sufficient quantity of land every year for several thousand farms.’
- ‘The settler will in the second year of his settlement, require an additional crown labourer.’
- ‘Only those willing and capable of performing the ordinary work of a Crown labourer will be received.’
- ‘His Crown labourers drew a prize when they entered his service, seldom leaving it, if well behaved, but as free men.’
- ‘There are, at this present time, in the year 1826, upwards of 25,000 male convicts, able-bodied crown labourers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.