One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A British colony whose legislature and administration was controlled by the Crown, represented by a governor.
- ‘On December 1, 1865, the secretaries of state for the colonies tore up the Jamaican Constitution and recommended a Crown Colony government for the island.’
- ‘Similar groups of settlers formed governments in The Bahamas until the islands became a British Crown Colony in 1717.’
- ‘Afterwards, Moshoeshoe persuaded the British to establish his kingdom as a Crown Colony, to deter encroachment from other Europeans and Afrikaners.’
- ‘The Cayman Islands are a British Crown Colony with strong ties to the United Kingdom.’
- ‘The Hong Kong where I lived for nearly a decade was exactly what it was called: a Crown Colony, with an appointed British governor presiding over an executive-led administration.’
- ‘In the 1830s, the British Crown Colony of Natal was founded on the coast of Zululand in the east.’
- ‘Although still a British Crown Colony, the islands today are self-governed in nearly all respects.’
- ‘The Bahamas became a British Crown Colony in 1717.’
- ‘The region only became a British Protectorate in 1895 and a Crown Colony called Kenya in 1920.’
- ‘The Greek majority population of the British Crown Colony of Cyprus demanded independence and union with Greece.’
- ‘The two islands were administratively joined in 1888; British Crown Colony government lasted until independence in 1962.’
- ‘After World War II, Sabah became a British Crown Colony and in 1963 gained independence and joined Malaysia.’
- ‘A Dutch Crown Colony, Statia (as she is usually called), is charming, but a little neglected and unloved.’
- ‘A British Crown Colony from 1866, representative government was gradually introduced from 1884.’
- ‘For much of its history, Hong Kong was a Crown Colony of Britain, yet it had created a distinct cinema that had nothing or little to do with Britain.’
- ‘St. Lucia alternated between French and British control fourteen times before it became a British Crown Colony under the Treaty of Paris in 1814.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.