Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A South Australian.
- ‘In fact the croweaters manage to stretch it out over a bloody week.’
- ‘Queensland became Bananaland in 1880, South Australia became the home of the croweaters in 1881, Melbourne became Marvellous Melbourne in 1885, and Adelaide became the city of churches in 1873.’
- ‘Two centremen had 22 disposals each, the only croweaters with more than 20 touches.’
- ‘But perhaps they were only following the example set at Moron Park last Friday, as the feral croweaters served up their own unique brand of extreme jingoism, as only croweaters can.’
- ‘Not that this would have made the bitter pill of defeat any easier to swallow for the croweaters, whose pain would have been exacerbated still further by the realisation that their demise had been masterminded - and, to a large extent, effected - by a former Sturt player.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.