One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small piece of fried or toasted bread served with soup or used as a garnish.
- ‘It is studded with rustic croutons that have been crisped to a turn in butter.’
- ‘My fish soup with langoustines, rouille and croutons proved a delight.’
- ‘Garnish with some croutons - a bit of shaved Parmesan would be delicious, too, as would a few sautéed mushrooms and lardons.’
- ‘Season well and serve with olive oil croutons, and snippings of fresh green herbs.’
- ‘My choice was served on croutons of bread (most of the starters make innovative use of bread), and lightly grilled, with a pepper sauce.’
- ‘The garlic soup was creamy and well flavoured, not too heavy or too light, though the croutons (pieces of toast) arrived several minutes late.’
- ‘He served salads of dandelion and strips of bacon, or chicory with garlic and croutons.’
- ‘We had them fried in bacon fat the other night, with some garlic croutons and pancetta piled on top of some soft, green chicory leaves.’
- ‘Mexicans also cut dry tortillas into squares, fry them, and use in place of croutons in soup; or cut them into strips and make concoctions reminiscent of pasta dishes.’
- ‘I ordered a bowl of soup and extra croutons, on the side.’
- ‘The salad also includes excellent homemade croutons, large pieces of bacon and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.’
- ‘The Caesar salad with herb croutons and Parmesan salad passed the test too.’
- ‘It's hardly gourmet food, but they make split pea soup with croutons.’
- ‘The strawberries actually had the miraculous perfume of local berries grown in season and little buttery croutons of fried brioche added another interesting crunch.’
- ‘Basically, they're flavourful baked pieces of bread, that you can use as croutons, or just as a yummy savoury snack.’
- ‘Garnishing the soup with croutons and/or Parmesan cheese is a must.’
- ‘This is a sweet soup and could probably be very nicely garnished with garlic croutons.’
- ‘This was followed by a ratatouille cream soup with the most wonderful garlic croutons and a baked strudel with chicken, leek and soya sprouts in two sauces.’
From French croûton, from croûte (see crust).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.