One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foul-smelling oil, formerly used as a purgative, obtained from the seeds of a tropical Asian croton tree.
- ‘Topically applied emu oil significantly reduced severity of acute auricular inflammation induced by croton oil in mice.’
- ‘In contact with the eye, croton oil causes severe keratoconjunctivitis with pain, swelling, and purulent discharge.’
- ‘Plasma cytokine levels were not changed by croton oil treatment.’
- ‘Witch hazel also exhibited a strong antiphlogistic effect in the croton oil ear edema test in the mouse.’
- ‘The trial developed that administering arsenic and croton oil to old men was by no means the defendant's only foible.’
- ‘In the former case this procedure was followed by injections of croton oil and/or hydrocortisone, and in the latter case only by enough air to maintain the size of the original ellipsoid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.