One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marked part of a road where pedestrians have right of way to cross; a pedestrian crossing.
- ‘When school resumes again, drivers need to be aware of school zones, crosswalks and bus stops.’
- ‘Pedestrians have the right-of-way on crosswalks, sidewalks and walkways across streets at stop signs.’
- ‘They approached the end of the sidewalk, the dull click of the pedestrian crosswalk blinking with the small white man.’
- ‘Current law orders motorists to stop on both sides whenever a pedestrian steps onto the crosswalk, an unlikely event in this burg.’
- ‘But on the freeway there are neither stoplights, yield signs, nor crosswalks at which to pause, only furious and never-ceasing movement.’
- ‘As I emerged on the other side of the sidewalk, I stood at the edge of the road beside the crosswalk.’
- ‘Observe your child crossing the street safely at the crosswalks.’
- ‘When the pedestrian phase is too long, drivers may be unnecessarily delayed at an empty crosswalk after all pedestrians have completed their crossing.’
- ‘We were still on the crosswalk, a few yards away from the curb.’
- ‘Over the weekend, the students posted their response in the form of a chalk outline of a pedestrian where the crosswalk once was.’
- ‘This means a route with slower traffic, more crosswalks, more crossing guards, and more sidewalks with wider surfaces and unobstructed views.’
- ‘Ian was one of those who walked, and he crossed the street at the crosswalk just beside the student parking lot.’
- ‘Injuries are more likely in areas without crosswalks.’
- ‘Detectors were installed to monitor pedestrians only on the crosswalk but not on the footpath.’
- ‘There was neither a street light nor a crosswalk at that location in the road.’
- ‘I looked down at the dirty yellow lines of the crosswalk.’
- ‘Richards emphasized police urge motorists always to watch closely for any sort of pedestrian movement when approaching a crosswalk.’
- ‘She said marked crosswalks without lights provide a false security for pedestrians.’
- ‘This applied not only at intersections and crosswalks, but anywhere.’
- ‘It is important that students understand that the traffic calming devices on the Ring Road are not crosswalks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.