Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A beam or bar fixed or placed across something else.‘tall pillars of brick with wooden crosspieces’
post, pillar, stanchion, standard, paling, pale, stake, stick, picket, palisade, support, prop, batten, mast, bar, shaft, rail, rod, beam, spar, crosspiece, upright, verticalView synonyms
- ‘Near the top of each post is nailed a crosspiece about 18 inches long.’
- ‘These are then put together with a bolt long enough to slide through the main body, and the crosspieces, and with a butterfly nut on the top to allow easy loosening and tightening.’
- ‘The logs, laid horizontally across the iron frame, are lashed to the crosspieces with sturdy twine.’
- ‘I cover bramble rows with a fine mesh net, placing stakes with T-shaped crosspieces every 6 feet to keep the mesh from getting entangled with the plants.’
- ‘The overburden at some points compressed twelve-inch overhead crosspieces, or caps, to two-inch thicknesses in a year.’
- ‘It was a rough construction of old boards nailed together with crosspieces.’
- ‘As Adam stood, he too leaned on the redwood crosspiece, his bottle dangling in his hands as his shoulders hunched forward.’
- ‘I clung to a crosspiece between two beams, to catch my breath.’
- ‘He noticed a pack of book matches lying on one of the flat, iron crosspieces between the bars.’
- ‘It was a double-edged middle sword with a simple crosspiece and handle.’
- ‘Carved crosspieces are lashed to the frame with rattan.’
- ‘The blade was set into a rounded cone-shaped hilt piece, from which sprang a finely-crafted crosspiece carved into the shape of silver angel wings.’
- ‘The basic design involves two upright posts for each section, with a crosspiece connecting them.’
- ‘Wooden power poles are installed with the intended use of supporting wires that are mounted either directly to the pole itself or to a crosspiece.’
- ‘Skittles come shaped like mushrooms or as small thin posts with metal crosspieces.’
- ‘The trellis top, which consists of two pairs of horizontal crosspieces, is added piece by piece.’
- ‘We screwed short crosspieces near the bottom of each leg, burying them in the gravel to resist tipping.’
- ‘It looks like your grandma's old rooftop TV antenna, with a single long axis and several shorter crosspieces.’
- ‘The crosspieces were circular and made of black stone, shot through with veins of grey.’
- ‘Next, measure for and cut the lower 2x4 crosspiece (and an identical one for Step 10) and the two 45-degree braces.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.