Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lobe-finned fish, such as the coelacanth.
- ‘These similarities have prompted evolutionists to confidently declare that crossopterygians evolved into tetrapods.’
- ‘‘Amphibians’ were held to be descended from rhipidistian crossopterygians and the closest living relative of amphibians was coelacanths.’
- ‘The sarcopterygians include the lungfish, together with the crossopterygians, which are composed of coelacanths and the extinct rhipidistians.’
- ‘One group of extinct crossopterygians, known as the rhipidistians, are the group thought by most to be the ones that successfully invaded land and gave rise to amphibians.’
- ‘The coelacanths were a side group of crossopterygians who evolved along separate lines from the rhipidistians in the Devonian.’
Relating to crossopterygians.
- ‘Large Bothriolepis plates were scattered around through the rocks with abundant crossopterygian bones and scales in the top units.’
- ‘Latimeria is a ‘living fossil,’ a single surviving species of the old lineage of crossopterygian fishes.’
- ‘After a light breakfast I studied a draft of a paper that we had just submitted on the new fossil crossopterygian fishes of the Aztec Siltstone.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Crossopterygii, from Greek krossos tassel + pterux, pterug- fin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.