One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Test the compatibility of (a donor's and a recipient's blood or tissue)‘after careful crossmatching, blood was administered over a period of 10 to 15 minutes’
- ‘This is relevant for junior medical staff taking samples for blood grouping and crossmatching.’
- ‘The patient's blood is grouped and crossmatched.’
- ‘The transfusion facility chose to crossmatch and transfuse type O red cells.’
- ‘The physician orders a unit of red blood cells to be crossmatched for a transfusion later that day.’
- ‘Our transfusion medicine service performed all recipient blood typing and screening for irregular antibodies using the saline and tube technique for ABO typing and immediate spin crossmatching.’
An instance of crossmatching.
- ‘The patient was transfused following a biologic crossmatch in an attempt to maintain hemoglobin and hematocrit levels.’
- ‘Repeated pretransfusion and posttransfusion crossmatches were also performed.’
- ‘Since the crossmatch uses the patient's serum, which may lack potency, donors who are weakly positive for the antigen may be mistakenly called compatible.’
- ‘This crossmatch was compatible and the unit was allocated for possible exchange transfusion for the twins.’
- ‘Blood type and screen or crossmatch may be ordered by the surgeon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.