Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The exchange of genes between homologous chromosomes, resulting in a mixture of parental characteristics in offspring.
- ‘Both predictions can be tested by examining patterns of gene conversion and crossing over in appropriately marked strains.’
- ‘The frequency of aberrant chromosomes resulting from ectopic crossing over was decreased 6-fold.’
- ‘In this organism crossing over between X and Y chromosomes was shown for the first time in vertebrates.’
- ‘Using these data, we investigate several alternative models of how gene conversion and crossing over may be associated.’
- ‘Recently, theoretical models have been developed that incorporate both crossing over and gene conversion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.