One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hammer having a peen that lies crossways to the length of the shaft.as modifier ‘a cross-peen hammer’
- ‘The cross pein is used to start the nail or pin, then the hammer is reversed to use the flat head to drive it home.’
- ‘In metalworking and mechanics there are also two main types, ball pein and machinist or cross pein.’
- ‘A cross peen goes perpendicular to the handle.’
- ‘Since the cross-peen hammer is the most used blacksmith hammer, let's use that as an example.’
- ‘The most useful domestically is the cross pein, where the pein can be used for starting panel pins and tacks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.