One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hammer having a peen that lies crossways to the length of the shaft.as modifier ‘a cross-peen hammer’
- ‘The cross pein is used to start the nail or pin, then the hammer is reversed to use the flat head to drive it home.’
- ‘The most useful domestically is the cross pein, where the pein can be used for starting panel pins and tacks.’
- ‘In metalworking and mechanics there are also two main types, ball pein and machinist or cross pein.’
- ‘Since the cross-peen hammer is the most used blacksmith hammer, let's use that as an example.’
- ‘A cross peen goes perpendicular to the handle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.