One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transverse piece which adds support to a structure.
- ‘Large longitudinal members tie into the side sills through large cross-section cross members.’
- ‘And combined with a passenger safety cell, surrounded by crumple zones, and structural cross members to absorb impact, it all helps to make the car a more enticing package.’
- ‘Underpinning the new look is a new chassis, a fully boxed design with seven cross members, an E-coat finish and hydroformed front rails.’
- ‘Single stamped outer and inner side panels with multi-piece reinforcements and hefty, seat cross members add to the body's stiffness.’
- ‘On either side of this member two cross members have been considered.’
- ‘The special features of this 48-foot semi-trailer are the movable cross members making the unit suitable for hauling any type of load.’
- ‘Since any metal covering would block the antenna's signal reception, holes must be blanked in the roof and structural cross members re-routed.’
- ‘The chassis has additional braces between the cross members and the frame.’
- ‘The frame is thicker, the axle tubes are thicker, and there are more gussets at cross members.’
- ‘The rear cross members were switched from aluminum alloy to high-strength low-alloy steel.’
- ‘An aluminum differential cover, ribbed for extra strength, bolts to the rear cross member for added structural strength.’
- ‘I would put six legs with a frame on top of the legs, six inches in from the sides, with cross members at least 16 inches apart.’
- ‘Whilst it is your case that the bolts in the left hand side of the cross member simply dropped out, it is our case that the bolts were never in fact fitted.’
- ‘To further stiffen the chassis, three cross members beneath the floor tunnel reduce flex due to steering input and provide a strong linear steering feel.’
- ‘A bona fide truck needs a frame, so there is a ladder frame engineered consisting of two longitudinal rails joined by seven high-strength steel cross members, for a fully boxed frame.’
- ‘If weight continued to be an issue, it would be possible to substitute aluminum tube for steel at the cross members or in the main frame rails.’
- ‘The boot is small and its usefulness is further compromised by the presence of a bracing cross member.’
- ‘Large, thick, straight side members have an octagonal design with large cross section and this permits optimal strengthening of the cross member.’
- ‘Three of these knees are used to help support the cross member and keep it in situ.’
- ‘The base of this vehicle is a chassis that consists of full-length box-section frame rails with nine welded cross members.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.