Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chemical bond between different chains of atoms in a polymer or other complex molecule.
- ‘Using a hydrolytic enzyme to help break the cross-links of thermosetting plastics for recycling.’
- ‘They studied the effects by assessing free urinary pyridinium cross links in growing rats, age 5-12 weeks.’
- ‘These reactive aldehydes form specific cross-links between two chains.’
- ‘Infliximab cross links tumour necrosis factor bound to T cells, thus inactivating or destroying it.’
- ‘The intramolecular hydrogen bond network is not static, but consists of many fluctuating cross links within the template framework.’
1Make or become linked with a cross link.[with object] ‘adjacent protein chains are cross-linked by quinones’[no object] ‘these substances cross-link without any problem’‘cross-linked copolymers of vinyl pyrrolidone with methyl methacrylate’
- ‘Unlike diene and saturated elastomers, thermoplastic elastomers are physically, rather than chemically, cross-linked.’
- ‘Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.’
- ‘These fibres are surrounded by a matrix of disorderly keratin-like proteins cross-linked by sulphur atoms, like steel cables embedded in concrete.’
- ‘In 1839, Charles Goodyear produced the first significant development when he created a process for making cross-linked, or vulcanized, rubber.’
- ‘As it dries, the oil molecules react with oxygen in the air, becoming cross-linked with each other in the process.’
- 1.1[with object]Connect (something) by a series of transverse links.‘cross-link the guidance system with the actual games programme’
- ‘‘See also’ links are cross-links between related pages on the website.’
- ‘The most prominent feature of this suitably archaic-looking site is a huge interactive timeline that lists and cross-links people, events and places.’
- ‘It is an interesting little program in that it lets you create seemingly random lists and cross-link them to other ideas so that you start to create some kind of organization out of those ideas.’
- ‘Purchasing and setting up multiple domains can be a great way to increase your visibility on the Web and if you cross-link your domains, you can improve your link popularity for each site.’
- ‘He has the role of reviewing and cross-linking the results of the work of the others.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.