One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical bond between different chains of atoms in a polymer or other complex molecule.
- ‘The intramolecular hydrogen bond network is not static, but consists of many fluctuating cross links within the template framework.’
- ‘They studied the effects by assessing free urinary pyridinium cross links in growing rats, age 5-12 weeks.’
- ‘Infliximab cross links tumour necrosis factor bound to T cells, thus inactivating or destroying it.’
- ‘These reactive aldehydes form specific cross-links between two chains.’
- ‘Using a hydrolytic enzyme to help break the cross-links of thermosetting plastics for recycling.’
1Make or become linked with a cross link.with object ‘adjacent protein chains are cross-linked by quinones’no object ‘these substances cross-link without any problem’‘cross-linked copolymers of vinyl pyrrolidone with methyl methacrylate’
- ‘Unlike diene and saturated elastomers, thermoplastic elastomers are physically, rather than chemically, cross-linked.’
- ‘These fibres are surrounded by a matrix of disorderly keratin-like proteins cross-linked by sulphur atoms, like steel cables embedded in concrete.’
- ‘Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.’
- ‘In 1839, Charles Goodyear produced the first significant development when he created a process for making cross-linked, or vulcanized, rubber.’
- ‘As it dries, the oil molecules react with oxygen in the air, becoming cross-linked with each other in the process.’
- 1.1with object Connect (something) by a series of transverse links.‘cross-link the guidance system with the actual games programme’
- ‘The most prominent feature of this suitably archaic-looking site is a huge interactive timeline that lists and cross-links people, events and places.’
- ‘Purchasing and setting up multiple domains can be a great way to increase your visibility on the Web and if you cross-link your domains, you can improve your link popularity for each site.’
- ‘He has the role of reviewing and cross-linking the results of the work of the others.’
- ‘It is an interesting little program in that it lets you create seemingly random lists and cross-link them to other ideas so that you start to create some kind of organization out of those ideas.’
- ‘‘See also’ links are cross-links between related pages on the website.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.