One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical bond between different chains of atoms in a polymer or other complex molecule.
- ‘Using a hydrolytic enzyme to help break the cross-links of thermosetting plastics for recycling.’
- ‘The intramolecular hydrogen bond network is not static, but consists of many fluctuating cross links within the template framework.’
- ‘They studied the effects by assessing free urinary pyridinium cross links in growing rats, age 5-12 weeks.’
- ‘These reactive aldehydes form specific cross-links between two chains.’
- ‘Infliximab cross links tumour necrosis factor bound to T cells, thus inactivating or destroying it.’
1Make or become linked with a cross link.with object ‘adjacent protein chains are cross-linked by quinones’no object ‘these substances cross-link without any problem’‘cross-linked copolymers of vinyl pyrrolidone with methyl methacrylate’
- ‘These fibres are surrounded by a matrix of disorderly keratin-like proteins cross-linked by sulphur atoms, like steel cables embedded in concrete.’
- ‘In 1839, Charles Goodyear produced the first significant development when he created a process for making cross-linked, or vulcanized, rubber.’
- ‘Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.’
- ‘Unlike diene and saturated elastomers, thermoplastic elastomers are physically, rather than chemically, cross-linked.’
- ‘As it dries, the oil molecules react with oxygen in the air, becoming cross-linked with each other in the process.’
- 1.1with object Connect (something) by a series of transverse links.‘cross-link the guidance system with the actual games programme’
- ‘Purchasing and setting up multiple domains can be a great way to increase your visibility on the Web and if you cross-link your domains, you can improve your link popularity for each site.’
- ‘‘See also’ links are cross-links between related pages on the website.’
- ‘The most prominent feature of this suitably archaic-looking site is a huge interactive timeline that lists and cross-links people, events and places.’
- ‘He has the role of reviewing and cross-linking the results of the work of the others.’
- ‘It is an interesting little program in that it lets you create seemingly random lists and cross-link them to other ideas so that you start to create some kind of organization out of those ideas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.