One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two cousins who are children of a brother and sister.as modifier ‘cross-cousin marriage’
- ‘Marriages are usually arranged, and cross-cousin marriages are preferred.’
- ‘Marriage unions that create family alliances and concentrate land, wealth, and status, such as preferential cross-cousin marriage, are favored in many Micronesian societies.’
- ‘In the times before Christian influence, the preference in some Polynesian societies was for cross-cousin marriage - a woman would marry her mother's brother's son or her father's sister's son.’
- ‘For instance, parallel cousins are not considered to be marriageable, but cross cousins are.’
- ‘A cross cousin is the child of your mother's brother or father's sister, while the children of your mother's sister or father's brother are parallel cousins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.