Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The dating of objects by correlation with the chronology of another culture or site.
- ‘After cross-dating, errors were corrected and cores that did not cross-date were discarded.’
- ‘He extended the principle of cross-dating, thus providing a chronological framework for his Bronze Age sequence.’
- ‘Once the hemlock cores were measured, cross-dating was verified.’
- ‘Here we combine cross-dating of fire scars in dead wood and living trees with sampling in a dense grid over a large area.’
- ‘The cross-dating allowed the age of the cores and disks to be determined accurately and identified any missing or false rings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.