Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Cut (wood or stone) across its main grain or axis.‘they cross-cut the timber before its removal’
- ‘I then crosscut the shelf to the width of the shadowbox and attached the bat to the shelf using galvanized wire.’
- ‘Use a jigsaw to crosscut the board adjacent to a joist.’
- ‘Then all you need to do is cross-cut the lengths.’
- ‘The resulting mixture is cut into strips, then crosscut into cubes.’
- ‘Her left knee buckled like a tree being cross-cut at its base.’
2Alternate (one sequence) with another when editing a film.‘the opening sequence cross-cuts the reluctant confessions of a young wife with the hippy's arrival’[no object] ‘they were cross-cutting from one story to another’
- ‘The work cross-cuts between artificially smooth tracking and frozen-frame shots.’
- ‘He cross-cuts their story with the tale of ‘boarded-out’ orphans sent to the Western Isles.’
- ‘It's stunning, as the material is crosscut - one story feeding into and around the other - and hearing 180 degree opposite accounts of what happened that day.’
- ‘Slow motion, rapidly crosscut with regular speed footage, gives a sense of the breakneck pace of battle.’
- ‘He crosscuts their obsessive stories with hilarious footage from circuses and old sci-fi films.’
- ‘The filmmaker cross-cuts his desperate, but primal, art making with their desperate, but primal, lovemaking.’
- ‘Some sequences are crosscut with a variety of short scenes, while others bring the camera in for close-up views.’
- ‘He then cross-cuts to aerial shots of the vehicles.’
- ‘The novel is a love story and he begins to crosscut scenes of the developing relationship between Alex and Emma with those of Adam and Emma.’
- ‘The opening sequence features a blade being sharpened on stone, quickly cross-cutting to a chaotic chase in which a gang of desperadoes attempt to capture a rogue chicken.’
- ‘All of these conflicts come to a head in a colorful finale that crosscuts between a final football match and his traditional wedding.’
- ‘All the show does is cross-cut frantically.’
- ‘He constantly cross-cuts from pursuers to pursued to keep the pace up.’
- ‘This scene, set in the Hong Kong girl's hotel room, is crosscut with two other scenes in what, for this film, is a burst of quickly edited action.’
- ‘The director crosscuts between them.’
- ‘Here, the visual focus crosscuts between two sites.’
- ‘She chose to cross-cut the president's remarks with news commentary and parliamentary footage.’
- ‘At precisely this moment the film crosscuts back to the sickroom.’
- ‘The new film crosscuts between locations repeatedly.’
1A diagonal cut, especially one across the main grain or axis of wood or stone.
- ‘For crosscuts up to 22 1/2 in., flip the square around and place its long blade against the saw shoe.’
- ‘A professional-quality miter box or, preferably, a 10-inch power miter saw are required for the precision miters and crosscuts.’
2An instance of alternating between two or more sequences when editing a film.‘movies today are all cross-cuts and violent effects’
- ‘A series of crosscuts to simultaneous scenes bodes ill.’
- ‘Intercut with images of a world of ice-covered trees along with numerous other rapid cross-cuts, the result is bizarre and disorienting in the extreme.’
- ‘The frantic zooms, the crazed crosscuts, the up-the-nostrils close-ups, the rollercoaster spin shots; it never stops, for two agonising hours.’
- ‘This line is followed by a quick cross-cut to Bruno's hands.’
- ‘His words work like cross-cuts in a movie.’
- ‘Incessant and intrusive editing, numerous jump- and cross-cuts and confounding time shifts, work to disorient the viewer.’
(of a file) having two sets of grooves crossing each other diagonally.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.