Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rough draft; a sketch.
drawing, preliminary drawing, outlineView synonyms
- ‘Entering the gallery, one encounters a whitewashed wall covered with croquis sketches of nude female figures.’
- ‘But first I needed to glue onto each box a nice croquis of the contents inside.’
- ‘He sent her this copy containing his comical little croquis.’
- ‘The gifts range from affectionate croquis to entire sketchbooks.’
- ‘A sketchbook page that includes croquis of a Tanagra figure, swathed in draperies, suggests that the inspiration was in fact Hellenistic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.