Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Land used for growing crops.
- ‘An estimated 80,000 acres of cropland in four counties was affected by the hail.’
- ‘How can researchers accurately estimate where, when, and how many grasshoppers are invading croplands from surrounding areas?’
- ‘Forests, croplands, and grasslands around the world are thought to be valuable for offsetting carbon dioxide emissions from industry and vehicles.’
- ‘When landslides destroy cropland, farmers slash and burn adjacent forests in order to feed their families.’
- ‘Irrigation equipment has been adapted for disposal of liquid manure and wastewaters on cropland.’
- ‘Nearly 94,000 acres of Ohio cropland were involved.’
- ‘Using aerial photographs, farmers can get detailed overviews of their croplands to see which plants look healthy and which don't.’
- ‘Of this total, 75.5 million acres was used for cropland.’
- ‘When spraying borders adjoining cropland, be sure to read and follow harvest and grazing restrictions.’
- ‘African herdsmen gather, or corral, their animals directly onto croplands at night between crop cycles.’
- ‘The spreading of manure on cropland or pasture can be a source of odors.’
- ‘Land also shifts among agricultural uses, such as pasture and cropland.’
- ‘Calculations of this type, applied to different farms, will frequently show needs of 2 to 6 tons of manure per acre of cropland.’
- ‘The procedure should then be repeated in different areas surrounding cropland or in different areas of rangeland and pastures.’
- ‘Its watershed is highly agricultural, mostly made up of cultivated croplands, pastures, or fallow land.’
- ‘To this end, many thousands of acres of cropland have been terraced.’
- ‘Vegetation is tropical rainforest, with increasing areas of pasture and cropland outside the station.’
- ‘As much or more management is required for grasslands than for cropland, he said.’
- ‘The region is representative of more than 7 million acres of Midwest cropland.’
- ‘The result was a healthier diet for the cows and a better net return per acre of cropland.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.