Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of rock) appear or be exposed at the surface of the earth.‘high hills are found where the igneous rocks of eastern South Uist crop out’
- ‘Mafic volcanic rocks on this trend crop out on eastern King Island, with exposures including dykes, pillow lavas, volcaniclastic rocks and dolomites.’
- ‘Volcanic rocks that crop out in the mine area are part of the Portage Lake Volcanics and consist of thin lava flows and interbedded sedimentary rocks.’
- ‘At the base of the erosional hollow, an inlier of Jurassic rocks crops out below the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
- ‘The Hammamat Group is a sequence of immature, clastic sedimentary rocks that crop out sporadically throughout the central and northern segments of the Eastern Desert of Egypt.’
- ‘The Dzhabyk batholith crops out along the entire surface trace of the profile.’
- ‘The nature of the Lower Palaeozoic rocks which crop out in the peninsula therefore hold important evidence for the Caledonian evolution of the area.’
- ‘The Mesozoic rocks crop out only in the Zhaigang and Zhainan areas in the southeastern part of the county.’
- ‘The hinges of folded debris layers crop out on the glacier surface as flow-parallel medial moraines, with axes dipping gently up-glacier.’
- ‘In contrast, depositional landscapes predominate in southern Alberta and Saskatchewan, where soft sedimentary rocks crop out near the southern limit of the ice sheet.’
- ‘Basement rocks crop out along the entire La Hague peninsula in a number of fault-bounded blocks and as thin layers separated by intrusive Cadomian igneous bodies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.