Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A squash of a club-shaped variety with a curved neck and warty skin.
- ‘Types of summer squash include the zucchini, straightnecks, crooknecks, and scallops.’
- ‘The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.’
- ‘Slice zucchini and crookneck squash lengthwise, brush with olive oil, and roast with sliced onions and red sweet peppers.’
- ‘Like a lot of other squash types, the female flowers of crooknecks are much larger than the male blossoms.’
- ‘The yellow crooknecks have a delicious strong flavor, which is why they are a favorite for us.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.