Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small spring-flowering Eurasian plant of the iris family, which grows from a corm and bears bright yellow, purple, or white flowers.See also autumn crocus
- ‘Spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils, and irises are universal symbols of spring.’
- ‘In 1960, filming was in winter, and daffodils and crocuses had to be brought in and planted to suggest spring's arrival.’
- ‘The only sure-fire way to protect tulips and crocuses and other tasty bulb treats from squirrels is to lay wire mesh such as chicken wire on top of the bed.’
- ‘The signs of early spring are all around, with plants such as snowdrops and crocuses making their appearance as normal.’
- ‘Fall is the season to plant trees, turf grasses and spring-blooming flower bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.’
- ‘It is the season to plant flowering bulbs such as tulips, narcissi, crocuses and hyacinths.’
- ‘Indulge yourself - or treat a friend - with instant plantings of colorful tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses, Iris reticulata and other spring flowers.’
- ‘Like snowdrops, crocuses will multiply each year.’
- ‘As far as planting goes, the smaller crocus should be planted so the tips of the bulb are two inches below the soil's surface.’
- ‘Nothing says spring quite like a daffodil, crocus or tulip.’
- ‘In spring the flowers, the daffodils and crocuses are an amazing sight.’
- ‘The tulip is followed in popularity by the daffodil and other narcissi, the gladiolus, the lily and the crocus.’
- ‘Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.’
- ‘For 15 years he has carefully planted crocuses and snowdrops around lamp posts, on verges and beside a phone box in his street.’
- ‘Children, their parents and other residents spent yesterday morning tidying up the embankment, which will bloom with crocuses and daffodils next spring.’
- ‘Other fun bulbs for easy forcing include colorful hyacinths, crocuses and narcissi.’
- ‘We plant crocuses in terracotta pots in the cool greenhouse using a peat-free compost with at least 25% extra grit for drainage.’
- ‘‘Sprinkle’ some crocuses, daffodils, and of course tulips between your flower beds.’
- ‘Crocuses and daffodils need to be planted in early fall because they're the first to bloom in springtime.’
- ‘Your hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, crocuses, and grape-hyacinths can be saved for planting in the garden.’
Late Middle English (also denoting saffron, obtained from a species of crocus): via Latin from Greek krokos, of Semitic origin and related to Hebrew karkōm and Arabic kurkum.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.