One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes montbretia.
Genus Crocosmia, family Iridaceae
- ‘Fastening tall plants, such as crocosmia or delphinium, to stakes has never been an easy task.’
- ‘It helped me remember things like where my bulbs were, how many hostas I'd planted and which varieties of crocosmias went where.’
- ‘Bulbs that have their own protective tunics, such as gladioli and crocosmias, can be stored in baskets, boxes, or mesh bags.’
- ‘The plant fair will be held between 10 am and 4pm on Sunday and will include specialist collections of astillbus, crocosmias, alpines, rock garden plants, ferns and shrubs and unusual hardy perennials.’
- ‘When other flowers are dying off, crocosmias add a splash of vivid colour.’
Modern Latin, from Greek krokos ‘saffron’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.