Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large predatory semiaquatic reptile of an order that comprises the crocodiles, alligators, caimans, and gharial. Crocodilians are distinguished by long jaws, short legs, and a powerful tail.
- ‘Truly cold-blooded animals like lizards, newts, turtles, and crocodilians, which are superabundant farther south are missing, he said.’
- ‘In other species, such as monitor lizards and crocodilians, the lungs are partitioned into chambers made up of an intricate net of support structures.’
- ‘Deliberate stone and soil swallowing has been reported for modem snakes, lizards, turtles and crocodilians serving to macerate digesta.’
- ‘Caiman belong to the group known as crocodilians, which also includes alligators and crocodiles.’
- ‘They are found in mammals, turtles, squamates, and crocodilians, as well as a few bird taxa, particularly ratites and ducks.’
Relating to crocodilians.
- ‘A massive crocodilian creature began rising from the tip of the mountain.’
- ‘Only two crocodilian groups had sparser, and therefore less sensitive, strings of the holes running along their jaws.’
- ‘They've got these crocodilian jaws that just crunch off huge chunks of meat and bone, and then they just swallow it all.’
- ‘The skin of the saltwater crocodile produces the highest quality leather of the world's crocodilian species.’
- ‘The large body size and short legs suggest that these animals lived mostly in the water, where they adopted a crocodilian life-style.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.