Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Humans certainly aren't their primary prey, but enough people have been killed by crocs to instill a healthy local fear for the animals, which also prey on livestock.’
- ‘Attacks usually happen in the evening, when the humans aren't looking for half submerged crocodiles, but the crocs are on the lookout for a meal.’
- ‘Some of these crocs are critically endangered - like the Chinese alligator.’
- ‘With crocs, you can sometimes afford to make a mistake.’
- ‘While other marine crocs fed on small fish, Dakosaurus hunted for marine reptiles and other large sea creatures, using its jagged teeth to bite and cut its prey.’
- ‘Saltwater crocs have a bit of a reputation - for eating people, that is.’
- ‘Examples from recent years include a number of early crocodile species that were smaller than today's crocs and appear to have been land-based.’
- ‘Marine crocs were abundant during the Jurassic period some 200 million to 145 million years ago.’
- ‘The surviving crocodilians were larger animals, more like the crocs we know today, but, curiously, mostly marine.’
- ‘In some places people use crocs as a food supply.’
- ‘Unregulated hunting between 1945 and 1970 led to a steep population decline of saltwater crocs throughout their range.’
- ‘It's dangerous, not only for us, but for the crocs - but the payoff in terms of scientific data can be huge.’
- ‘Unlucky flying foxes are nabbed in mid-flight, providing fast food for the crocs.’
- ‘While the crocs fight for their existence in the wild tens of thousands of them live on farms in Thailand, Cambodia, and elsewhere.’
- ‘‘I never saw any big crocs but there were giant footprints,’ he said.’
- ‘The other 575 crocs would have been slaughtered for their skin and meat.’
- ‘Modern crocs latch on to large prey and roll with it into the water, both to kill and to disarticulate.’
- ‘Only a small number of the farm's crocs are used for breeding.’
- ‘Park rangers have already moved three saltwater crocs this year.’
- ‘The 4ft long Cayman crocs were in a tank in the house.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.