Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The minimum amount of fissile material needed to maintain a nuclear chain reaction.
- ‘Just two months earlier, the Observer published internal documents indicating that there had been eight breaches of safety rules intended to prevent critical masses of fissile material being brought together.’
- ‘Its basic principle is assembling a critical mass of a radioactive element with properties to spark a swift chain reaction.’
- ‘Such explosions are caused by the accumulation of a critical mass of material falling onto the neutron star from a partner.’
- ‘As the seventh bucket was poured in the mixture reached critical mass initiating a sustained chain reaction.’
- ‘Its main task is the enrichment of uranium, which provides critical mass in nuclear devices.’
2The minimum size or amount of resources required to start or maintain a venture.‘some of our new industries are now reaching critical mass’
- ‘The shorter the time you need to reach that critical mass of users, the sooner your site pays off.’
- ‘Stephens said the company is talking to a number of larger domain name registrars about using their services as a channel to reach the required critical mass of customers.’
- ‘The multicultural marketplace has reached critical mass, and it requires a new approach.’
- ‘It's been a long time coming, but it seems like the British blogging scene is finally starting to reach critical mass.’
- ‘There's a lot of good stuff, but it just hasn't reached a critical mass where it will establish itself in the marketplace.’
- ‘Any good movement requires a critical mass.’
- ‘Only then did it make the transition from great technology to great technology with a critical mass of users.’
- ‘Until it reaches the critical mass it's aiming for, it won't take the risk of participating in government down here.’
- ‘To reach a critical mass, we need to take a stand, and we need to awaken our neighbours, our parents, our friends.’
- ‘Perhaps a piecemeal approach prevents many interventions from reaching the required critical mass.’
- ‘Some of our new industries are now reaching critical mass - big enough to matter in the real world.’
- ‘As long as you have less than the critical mass of material, nothing happens.’
- ‘But until the market reaches a critical mass, dealers have to turn to other revenue streams to keep going.’
- ‘Some technologies reach a critical mass of adoption in a short period of time and are great market successes.’
- ‘Taken together, the surveys point to the need for critical masses to be present in order for development to proceed.’
- ‘It has a roadmap to integrate these to produce something cheaper and smaller, but that first requires a critical mass to justify the investment of course.’
- ‘That means that once they reach critical mass, their profit margins fatten as revenues grow.’
- ‘We had to dominate the top markets to create a critical mass for marketing and achieve economies of scale in advertising.’
- ‘This is even more reason to ensure we create a critical mass in the market place.’
- ‘Have you reached a critical mass that creates a marketing momentum of its own?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.