One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compartment at the bottom of a refrigerator for storing fruit and vegetables.
- ‘Crisp green stems should be loosely wrapped in paper towel and kept in the crisper.’
- ‘Patty arranged the large cutting board on the counter and went to the crisper for the vegetables.’
- ‘Place unwashed kale in a plastic bag and keep it in the vegetable crisper of your refrigerator for up to a week.’
- ‘Put them into a plastic bag with a number of small holes, and put these in a cold root cellar or in the crisper of the refrigerator.’
- ‘You know, those shriveled brown vegetables down in the vegetable crisper?’
- ‘Fresh spinach can be dried and packed loosely in a plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator crisper.’
- ‘To chill bulbs in the refrigerator, just store them in a mesh or paper bag in the crisper section until they're ready to be forced.’
- ‘The best way of keeping it fresh is to put it in a perforated plastic bag and keep it in the crisper.’
- ‘Don't plant tulips yet, but put them in the fridge crisper for around six weeks and plant in May.’
- ‘Save the vegetable crisper for lettuce and carrots.’
- ‘On a visit to India, Kim came up with a refrigerator with an extra-large crisper and small freezer for a nation of vegetarians.’
- ‘Now is the time to plant those hyacinth and tulip bulbs that you have had chilling in the crisper of the refrigerator.’
- ‘Advanced features such as electronic controls, humidity-sealed crispers and an adjustable-temperature meat storage drawer keep groceries fresh, crisp and cold.’
- ‘She took the vegetables out of the crisper and found herself thinking again how nice it would be to have a frost-free fridge.’
- ‘Some people keep their bulbs in the refrigerator crisper drawer, taking care to avoid storing them with ripening fruit.’
- ‘The online reviewing biz is not for the squeamish - our turnover rate is high, with the average writer lasting less time than fresh cilantro in the crisper.’
- ‘I'm not that thrilled about stocking the freezer with former pets - isn't there enough fur in the salad crisper already?’
- ‘Keep them in a closed bag in your refrigerator crisper drawer.’
- ‘And, be a darling and get the eggplant out from the vegetable crisper, will you?’
- ‘The crisper drawer contains two apples, a bag of black seedless grapes, and a bulb of garlic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.