One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An echinoderm of the class "Crinoidea" , which comprises the sea lilies and feather stars.
- ‘Gogia is an eocrinoid, a member of a grouping of early echinoderms that probably included the ancestors of true crinoids and other echinoderm taxa.’
- ‘A very productive synergism developed among crinoid biologists, crinoid paleontologists, and those who worked in both fields.’
- ‘Commonly, the host is a brachiopod, but it may be a coral, bryozoan colony, crinoid stem, or mollusk.’
- ‘The entire fauna is typically shallow-marine, composed of crinoids, brachiopods, corals, and bryozoans.’
- ‘Echinoid and crinoid fragments are preserved on a number of bedding planes, indicating normal salinity levels.’
Relating to or denoting crinoids.
- ‘Grainy rocks in the upper third contain an abundance of disarticulated crinoid debris.’
- ‘The fauna is dominated by common fenestrate bryozoans and crinoid ossicles.’
- ‘Alpha taxonomy must still play a vital role in the crinoid research agenda.’
- ‘Most of the sphinctozoans and crinoid stems are found almost complete and articulated, lying parallel to bedding.’
- ‘The Graphic mine in the same district is known for smithsonite replacements after crinoid stems and mollusk shells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.