Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing feelings of embarrassment or awkwardness.‘the play's cast was excellent, but the dialogue was unforgivably cringeworthy’
embarrassing, uncomfortable, unpleasant, delicate, ticklish, tricky, sensitive, problematic, problematical, troublesome, perplexing, thorny, vexatiousView synonyms
- ‘Is there anything more cringeworthy than a series of unfunny childhood anecdotes and blatant sexual references strung together in a monotone drawl?’
- ‘But cringeworthy campaigns such as this aren't going to convince anyone to pick up the phone and seek out further information.’
- ‘I am sure you can guess the verdict; jaw-dropping effects and cringeworthy dialogue.’
- ‘Thankfully, there is now a reasonable story line, though the mythical names are ridiculous and the dialogue is cringeworthy.’
- ‘Sometimes he can come up with a good quip on the spot, but other than that, he is pretty cringeworthy.’
- ‘She is, for lack of a better word, cringeworthy.’
- ‘It was cringeworthy football, played almost entirely in the middle third of the pitch and the only good point is that the fans will have easily erased the first half from their memory, because there wasn't anything to remember.’
- ‘And as long as you can assure me that you won't be contributing to the already over-subscribed and utterly cringeworthy canon of ‘chick-lit’, I wish you the best of luck.’
- ‘The rehearsal scenes saw him perform the obligatory and cringeworthy tortured-genius-kicks-chair-over routine.’
- ‘There were so many cringeworthy moments in this vomit-fest.’
- ‘Most of his ‘jokes’ were so cringeworthy that they made all the insects in my house curl up into tight little balls and die.’
- ‘Sure, the title is cringeworthy and the bonus comic-book insert, while a cool idea, isn't too impressive either.’
- ‘Most of the writing is cringeworthy, dull to read, lacking in direction and possesses little or no identity.’
- ‘I'm fortunate in never having worked with anyone who talks at length about their sex life. People I know have had colleagues like that, and it is truly cringeworthy.’
- ‘The performance was at times mildly amusing, at times cringeworthy and on one occasion convincing.’
- ‘Sometimes even the best writers commit to paper intimate thoughts that are cringeworthy when reread.’
- ‘I'm afraid it sounds pretty cringeworthy to me.’
- ‘Makes for some tacky, cringeworthy, infomercial-like television.’
- ‘He's SO cringeworthy, he's surpassed the point that defines comedy.’
- ‘At times, her pained face is so pathetic and real, it's cringeworthy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.