One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A writer of detective stories or thrillers.
- ‘Opened 75 years ago, one of the hotel's earliest visitors was the crime writer Agatha Christie, who also fancied herself as a bit of a gourmand.’
- ‘I was particularly taken with this tale since it seems to be the basis for a novel by my favourite crime writer.’
- ‘I think I'm still the only crime writer I know who hadn't a clue about the genre before setting out.’
- ‘Award-winning crime writer Ian Rankin receives an OBE for services to literature.’
- ‘He is a crime writer who does detecting on the side.’
- ‘But even his encounters with the Krays didn't prepare him for the time he spent researching Liverpool's drug barons with the Guardian crime writer Nick Davies.’
- ‘The UK crime writer Ruth Rendell and the consultant gynaecologist Harry Gordon at first seem to have little in common.’
- ‘British crime writer, John Creasy, produced hundreds of novels under different names.’
- ‘I'd much rather discover a crime writer with a solid series of private eye novels behind them than an SF writer with an interesting back catalogue.’
- ‘The seminal crime writer Agatha Christie, who created gumshoed granny Miss Marple, introduced Belgian sleuth, Hercule Poirot, in The Mysterious Affair At Styles in 1920.’
- ‘Are you more at ease with your identity as a crime writer now?’
- ‘A three-bedroom cottage in Newland Street, Witham, has come up for sale - right next door to where the famous novelist and crime writer Dorothy L Sayers lived nearly 50 years ago.’
- ‘She decided to earn her crime writer colours by enrolling in a diploma course in forensic medical science at the University of Glasgow, where she studied alongside police officers, lawyers and mortuary assistants.’
- ‘Like many others, the crime writer Raymond Chandler was puzzled as to why Crippen disposed of his wife's head, limbs and all her bones, possibly dumping them in a nearby canal, yet chose to bury some of her flesh at home.’
- ‘In crime writer Ian Rankin's thriller, ‘Witch Hunt’, an investigator called Michael Barclay does not think of himself as a spy.’
- ‘Having said that, Mina does regard herself very definitely as a crime writer rather than just an author.’
- ‘Interviews include the crime writer and author, Patricia Cornwell, ex-FBI agent, Robert Ressler, forensic psychologist, Louis Schlesinger and many others.’
- ‘IAN RANKIN, the Scottish crime writer, is to auction a role in his next novel to raise money for a children's charity which helped him cope with his son's disability.’
- ‘He is considered a crime writer's crime writer.’
- ‘Her reputation as a crime writer was secured in 1998, when her first novel won the John Creasey Gold Dagger award.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.