One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A board with pegs and holes, used for scoring at cribbage.
- ‘Winners' plaques, bowling woods, cribbage boards and a railway engine name plate are among the items to go under the hammer tomorrow.’
- ‘Some score on a cribbage board, each player using one of the four tracks, starting from one end, the aim of course being to reach the agreed target score first.’
- ‘A cribbage board is useful for scoring, since scores are totaled as they are made and not at the end of the hand.’
- ‘One last note: since scoring is continuous, you might want to play with a cribbage board if you have one.’
- ‘Train trips are a good time to fold up your mobile and break out the cribbage board.’
- ‘This convention allows a cribbage board to be used for keeping scores.’
- ‘On card playing: ‘Be nimble on the cribbage board and master at least three of the following: whist, euchre, hearts, canasta, spades, pinochle, or stud.’’
- ‘In appreciation of his efforts, these workmen gave him a beautifully crafted cribbage board with an inscription on the back.’
- ‘When he went looking through the offered board games he found not only a deck of cards but also a cribbage board.’
- ‘It is easiest to peg running scores on a cribbage board, but they can be written on a score pad if you prefer.’
- ‘Cribbage Supply offers a range of cribbage boards, pegs, books and playing-cards.’
- ‘He set up a cribbage board and waited for a few minutes.’
- ‘A cribbage board is recommended, but pencil and paper will do.’
- ‘Some time during the 19th century the chalk and dartboard replaced the cribbage board as the standard method of scoring a game of darts.’
- ‘We dragged out our old cribbage board, rounded up five different colored pegs and kept the ongoing score this way.’
- ‘The score is usually kept on a peg board which is like a cribbage board but half as long again.’
- ‘We make enough products now that if the flooring or paneling market goes soft, we make it up with wood for cribbage boards or with handles for barbecue grills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.