One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
A break during a working day.‘the hours were 35 per week, including 30 minutes paid crib time daily’
- ‘Crib-time comes and the mates get together at the bottom of the shaft to share a candle.’
- ‘On two occasions he had had to speak to them about knocking off fifteen minutes before the stipulated cribtime.’
- ‘Shift workers shall be allowed up to 30 minutes' cribtime during the shift but the machinery shall be kept fully working and production shall not be impeded.’
- ‘The shift boss yells "Righto", which is the signal that crib time is over.’
- ‘At crib time, he sat on a slag heap with his father and Snow, eating sandwiches and drinking tin mugs of sweetened cold tea.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.