Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A close-fitting round neckline on a sweater or T-shirt.[as modifier] ‘a crew-neck sweater’
- ‘Made of 100% preshrunk cotton, this shirt features a crew neck with contrasting 3/4-length raglan sleeve and neckband.’
- ‘Stylish V-necks, crew necks and turtlenecks will all look great under a sassy suit.’
- ‘Get the crew-neck T-shirt, leotard, women's tank top, or women's hipster short.’
- ‘Dressed in a neat charcoal suit and white crew-neck sweatshirt, he cuts a cool figure even though his shades can't hide the criss-crossing lines creeping over his tanned features like a rail map.’
- ‘Julien [an owner] lets me wear my crew-neck sweater, not like at some of the private clubs where you must wear a jacket and tie and women can't wear open-toed shoes.’
- ‘I was wearing a cosy crew-neck sweater and jeans.’
- ‘The simple solution is the Longtail T - a classic crew-neck T-shirt featuring an extra 3 inches of length to help keep it tucked securely in place.’
- ‘It's 100 percent acrylic and comes in a crew-neck style or as a five-button fatigue sweater.’
- ‘Gold wash jeans look amazing with solid colored button-down shirts, V-necks and crew necks.’
- ‘He said there were two girls in the gang and remembered his attacker wearing a navy blue crew-neck sweater with a badge emblem and red writing on it.’
- ‘He wore a blue crew-neck sweater and slacks that made him look like a student.’
- ‘The neck of the mock neck is only slightly higher than a crew neck, but only a third as high as a turtleneck.’
- ‘It's him on a hill, having a picnic with his wife, who is in a crew-neck orange sweater with white collar peeking out, and his children, who are in penny loafers.’
- ‘He spoke with a local accent and wore a blue crew-neck sweatshirt and black trousers.’
- ‘Women can choose from crew necks, scoop neck, one shoulder shirts, and many other styles.’
- ‘V-necks, turtlenecks and crew necks can make you want to ring someone's neck when shopping for a sweater.’
- ‘He was a world-class schmoozer, immediately identifiable by his mop of brown hair, crew-neck sweater, and bushy mustache.’
- ‘This discounted promotional line is offered on 100% cotton crew-neck T-shirts at prices as low as $4.25 a piece in case lots per size only.’
- ‘The Lucia range includes a variety of different jumpers with V-neck, crew neck and slash neck in either short or long sleeves.’
- ‘The men's style has a rib knit overlapped crew neck, cuffs and bottom band while the women's features a V-neck.’
- 1.1A sweater with a crew neck.
- ‘Their quality grey, yellow and orange cashmere crew necks are clearly being marketed as an introduction to the label.’
- ‘He is dressed from head to toe in classy black - black jeans, a black crew-neck and a long black trench coat, with silky red insides which flash whenever he moves.’
- ‘Big loose weave knits, crew necks, roll necks, zip fronted or even a cardigan.’
- ‘Why is the Sailor in the picture wearing a black crew neck?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.