One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the Greek island of Crete or its inhabitants.‘ancient Cretan pottery’
- ‘Cretan music has a long tradition and is played on a fixed-instrumentation lyra and two lutes.’
- ‘There are many unspoiled Cretan villages where property prices are still exceedingly low.’
- ‘There is nothing I like more than to enjoy Greek salad with local Cretan wine by the small canal which separates the bay from the rest of the world.’
- ‘The cuisine at the hotel is pure Cretan and all homemade.’
- ‘It was going to be another beautiful Cretan day.’
A native or inhabitant of the Greek island of Crete.‘on the road he meets a Cretan’
- ‘My father was Greek, a Cretan, though he left Crete young.’
- ‘The early Cretans were Indo-European in race, language and culture.’
- ‘Is it salmon, not sardines, that keeps those famously long-lived Cretans healthy?’
- ‘The Cretans almost always give you a drink on the house at the start or end of a meal.’
- ‘It was three years since I had last stayed with Lambros, but Cretans don't forget their friends.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.