Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a bird or other animal) having a comb or tuft of feathers, fur, or skin on the head:‘the crested drake mandarin duck’[in combination] ‘a plush-crested jay’
- ‘Known to the pharaohs as the crested ibis, it was regularly featured in jewelry and art, and, like the sacred ibis, had its own hieroglyph which symbolized splendor and brilliance.’
- ‘They have a gray-blue feather crested head, which they can raise and lower.’
- ‘Its overall bright red color and crested head feathers, which raise when the bird is alert or excited, readily identify the male.’
- ‘In Bendigo, near where I live in north-central Victoria, there are now huge numbers of crested pigeons.’
- ‘With a bit of luck the pair of crested cranes, presently living in the reserve, can be spotted in all their splendour as an added bonus.’
- ‘Bird watchers also visit to see the crested grebes which nest here.’
- ‘As some of us slept, others watched the courtship of a pair of paradise flycatchers and a pair of crested buntings.’
- ‘They have distinctive crested heads, black throats, and black masks lightly lined with white.’
- ‘As yet another scorching summer has drawn to a close in Mumbai, one hears the haunting cry of the pied crested cuckoo.’
- ‘My private encounter with a family of crested firebacks, one of the many stunning partridges in the area, will long remain in my mind's eye.’
- ‘DNA evidence suggests that the ancestors of crested penguins laid two eggs.’
- ‘The male has a dark green crested head, a white neck ring and a rusty breast.’
- ‘The noise from the birds (mostly lesser crested tern and common noddy) was deafening.’
- ‘More than 200 species of birds are also found here, including the rare Storm's stork and the oriental darter, kingfishers and raptors such as the crested serpent eagle.’
- ‘This reporter happened upon a rare sighting of two crested serpent eagles circling together in the sky over the forest canopy.’
- ‘The erect-crested penguin is one of five species known as crested penguins.’
- ‘Presently its chatter attracted a beautiful crested blue jay that flew close and uttered high-pitched notes, wild and fierce in their intensity.’
- ‘Black crested gulls swirled along the atmosphere; the air was permanently imbued with the scent of salt and fish, fresh or otherwise.’
- ‘The Belted Kingfisher is a medium-sized, stocky bird with a large, crested head, and a long, solid bill.’
- ‘Indeed, the social stimulation derived from the calling and courting of neighbors in the colony has been shown to hasten the development of eggs in crested penguins.’
2Emblazoned with a coat of arms or other emblem:‘crested notepaper’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.