One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The disposal of a dead person's body by burning it to ashes, typically after a funeral ceremony.‘we chose cremation over burial’count noun ‘advice on wills, costs, and cremations’
- ‘After death, the corpse is washed and prepared for cremation.’
- ‘I need to arrange his cremation.’
- ‘We carried out perhaps one or two cremations a day.’
- ‘After the cremation, the family receives all of the ashes.’
- ‘All we knew, though, was that she wanted a small private cremation with only immediate family present.’
- ‘Cremations now comprise 70 per cent of funerals.’
- ‘All burials and cremations are arranged by professional undertakers.’
- ‘Tribal funeral customs include both cremation and burial.’
- ‘People attend the funeral and cremation of a Buddhist monk.’
- ‘Cremation is performed after death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.