One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any plant that grows along the ground, around another plant, or up a wall by means of extending stems or branches.
climbing plant, trailing plantView synonyms
- ‘Everything was overgrown with the same creeper vines, fungi and lichen that the old fences were.’
- ‘Bright green baby's tears, blue star creeper, and creeping thyme grow below them.’
- ‘The plant, a creeper of the arum lily family, is a native of Mexico and Guatemala.’
- ‘Flowering plants, creepers and hedge shrubs will be planted.’
- ‘Yes muntries are little purple berries and they're the fruit of a shrub, a ground creeper, that grows down in eastern South Australia.’
2with modifier Any of a number of small birds that creep around in trees or vegetation.
- ‘A flock of brown creepers were on most of the trees.’
- ‘A brown creeper also wooed us for just one day.’
- ‘They walked down the man trail, enjoying the many songs of the tree creepers above.’
- ‘Brown creepers have just taken over the neighborhood, you hear them everywhere you go.’
- ‘One most beautiful and exotic of creepers is cardinal creeper.’
3North American informal A person whose behaviour towards or interest in someone is regarded as unwelcome and socially inappropriate (typically used of a man)‘I could dance there without a creeper walking up and accosting me’
- ‘They accuse him of being a restroom creeper.’
- ‘At first, they just skulked around the windows at the viewing parties and peered in like a bunch of creepers.’
- ‘Just because he was spying on Olivia via hidden cameras, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's a creeper.’
- ‘I only block trolls and creepers though, which I haven't been getting a lot of lately.’
- ‘He is a creeper who's dating a teenager, recording everything that takes place in his life and leering through windows.’
- ‘Whether she's demonstrating how to keep creepers away, or producing mini-musicals featuring her dogs, she is always entertaining.’
- ‘With a creeper glint in his eyes, Peter eschews any form of anger management in favor of destroying his career in one glorious temper tantrum.’
- ‘Tom thinks Wendy is super cute, judging by his creeper stare, so he has her start working right away in the toy department.’
- ‘He was a creeper who spied on her every move and manipulated his way into their lives.’
- ‘She's dealt with her fair share of creepers when it comes to obsessive fans and trespassers at her home.’
4creepersinformalshort for brothel creepers
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.