Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Material comforts that contribute to physical ease and well-being, such as good food and accommodation.‘you're a long way from home and the only creature comforts you have are a television’
- ‘He may have liked women too, but not as much as his creature comforts, and he kept an eye peeled for opportunities to make himself rich.’
- ‘What makes the usual and expected standards of physical well-being and creature comforts unimportant to so many people at the same time?’
- ‘Are there any others out there ready to give up the creature comforts of materialism and strike back for the working class?’
- ‘Corsicans love their food and creature comforts.’
- ‘In this class of accommodation expect to find all the creature comforts associated with rated accommodation.’
- ‘All these creature comforts are there to be enjoyed by a couple of foxy-haired wiry mongrels and five lithe greyhounds that come bounding out the doorway.’
- ‘For many people this means tightening the belt a bit, cutting back on the creature comforts and simply making inroads into the credit card bill.’
- ‘But don't worry; you don't need to forego your creature comforts.’
- ‘Like her, I'm not at all embarrassed to say I hold creature comforts high on my list of ‘musts.’’
- ‘We have a biological existence, through which we experience the vital values of creature comforts, physical ease, agreeableness, adaptability and corporeal pleasures.’
- ‘At Guantanamo, by contrast, interrogators can reward cooperators with better food, more creature comforts and favorable plea bargains.’
- ‘As far as creature comforts go, food is not in short supply, but it is most definitely not a holiday highlight.’
- ‘So, here I am, suffering for my passion, yet not wanting to give up the creature comforts and pseudo-stability that I now feel in my current position.’
- ‘Like with so many other traditional craft-forms, what was once an essential part of everyday life has, in our age of greater creature comforts, become mainly a hobby and craft.’
- ‘No matter how many creature comforts we accumulate, no matter how secure we think we are, we know that something is wrong, terribly wrong.’
- ‘Shouldn't I be willing to sacrifice creature comforts in favor of working to change things for those who have less?’
- ‘For the moment, those dreams largely mean material happiness and creature comforts, rather than children or community.’
- ‘What are the creature comforts you have on the bus?’
- ‘Physical safety and creature comforts exact a terrible price in that regard.’
- ‘The fabric inside makes it seem like you are actually in your bed, surrounded by a big lovely duvet, so you are unaware when you fall asleep that you are without your usual creature comforts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.