One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal taken in the afternoon consisting of tea to drink with scones, jam, and cream.
- ‘This takes a leisurely two hours and includes a cream tea.’
- ‘Around 80 guests will enjoy a cream tea at the farm where he lives, with Prospero tucking into a carrot cake next Saturday.’
- ‘This afternoon we went to the farm shop just along the road from here and had a cream tea whilst watching the cows being milked.’
- ‘The prize is a cream tea for a family of four at the Lemon Grove Tea Rooms.’
- ‘And we made a point of finding somewhere to have a cream tea every single day.’
- ‘We had a cream tea in the bar in the afternoon and ate in the hotel's restaurant that evening.’
- ‘The race sets off from Durisdeer Church, and shows no mercy until the arrival at yet another church for a well-deserved cream tea.’
- ‘You can't help but smile a little after a Selworthy cream tea.’
- ‘Of course, at around four in the afternoon thoughts turn to the cream tea.’
- ‘Later in the day, a cream tea with sandwiches and scones would have been tempting.’
- ‘I had great plans for today, getting up early, rattling through writing chores, tidying the house and then going out for some air and, possibly, half a cream tea.’
- ‘A cruise on the river from Tewkesbury is planned for May 20, the cost will be £8 and includes a cream tea.’
- ‘We went and had a cream tea with my parent's friends.’
- ‘A nice cream tea in the Victorian Kitchens followed, leaving just enough time to sing a few carols with the Salvation Army Band.’
- ‘We try to encourage owners to have a welcome of some sort, either by providing a cream tea or laying a fire. Clients like it and owners like it.’
- ‘Beginning on Christmas Eve with a welcome cream tea in front of a roaring open fire, champagne, canapés, good food and wine are on offer throughout the break.’
- ‘Feed 'em with a cream tea twice a day and by the middle of the first week they'll be too stuffed to move.’
- ‘On the next day, to celebrate, we'd take a trip out to one of the tourist tea rooms for the first cream tea of the year.’
- ‘Visitors will be able to enjoy a cream tea in a cottage garden, browse around the stalls and wander around St Michael's Church to see floral decorations and enjoy the view from the church tower.’
- ‘It is our Bank Holiday, too, and it would have affected the church cream tea, which has been held in the village for many years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.