One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal taken in the afternoon consisting of tea to drink with scones, jam, and cream.
- ‘We went and had a cream tea with my parent's friends.’
- ‘A cruise on the river from Tewkesbury is planned for May 20, the cost will be £8 and includes a cream tea.’
- ‘The race sets off from Durisdeer Church, and shows no mercy until the arrival at yet another church for a well-deserved cream tea.’
- ‘We try to encourage owners to have a welcome of some sort, either by providing a cream tea or laying a fire. Clients like it and owners like it.’
- ‘Of course, at around four in the afternoon thoughts turn to the cream tea.’
- ‘It is our Bank Holiday, too, and it would have affected the church cream tea, which has been held in the village for many years.’
- ‘We had a cream tea in the bar in the afternoon and ate in the hotel's restaurant that evening.’
- ‘Feed 'em with a cream tea twice a day and by the middle of the first week they'll be too stuffed to move.’
- ‘Later in the day, a cream tea with sandwiches and scones would have been tempting.’
- ‘On the next day, to celebrate, we'd take a trip out to one of the tourist tea rooms for the first cream tea of the year.’
- ‘This afternoon we went to the farm shop just along the road from here and had a cream tea whilst watching the cows being milked.’
- ‘You can't help but smile a little after a Selworthy cream tea.’
- ‘Visitors will be able to enjoy a cream tea in a cottage garden, browse around the stalls and wander around St Michael's Church to see floral decorations and enjoy the view from the church tower.’
- ‘Beginning on Christmas Eve with a welcome cream tea in front of a roaring open fire, champagne, canapés, good food and wine are on offer throughout the break.’
- ‘I had great plans for today, getting up early, rattling through writing chores, tidying the house and then going out for some air and, possibly, half a cream tea.’
- ‘Around 80 guests will enjoy a cream tea at the farm where he lives, with Prospero tucking into a carrot cake next Saturday.’
- ‘This takes a leisurely two hours and includes a cream tea.’
- ‘A nice cream tea in the Victorian Kitchens followed, leaving just enough time to sing a few carols with the Salvation Army Band.’
- ‘And we made a point of finding somewhere to have a cream tea every single day.’
- ‘The prize is a cream tea for a family of four at the Lemon Grove Tea Rooms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.