One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A patchwork quilt of a type traditionally made in North America, with patches of randomly varying sizes, shapes, colours, and fabrics.
- ‘On the floor of the sitting room is a late nineteenth-century hooked rug reminiscent of crazy quilts.’
- ‘My friend Joan, a wonderful quilter of crazy quilt handbags & other art pieces, has this to say to your question.’
- ‘Quilt lovers prize eye-catching quilts such as crazy quilts, log cabins, and Baltimore album quilts.’
- ‘Occasionally a cotton crazy quilt is seen, where scraps of fabrics in a myriad of cotton prints are used to cover the quilt top.’
- 1.1 A disorganized collection of things.‘colonial America was a crazy quilt of laws’
- ‘It is hamstrung by a crazy quilt patchwork of warring state commissions, sanctioning bodies, and dubious fight contracts.’
- ‘Many take advantage of a crazy quilt of regulations that often allows them to skirt legal oversight.’
- ‘America here is presented as a play of reflections, its image a crazy quilt of the accumulated slights, projections and unrealizable longings of those outside its borders.’
- ‘The pattern of voting equipment usage across the United States is a demographic crazy quilt.’
- ‘The big challenge is to come up with a program that stitches together today's crazy quilt of storage systems.’
- ‘They soon may be decorated with the crazy quilt of sponsors' logos that transforms racecar drivers into billboards.’
- ‘This is not a linear, academic study but a living, breathing crazy quilt.’
- ‘The tiny squares change from red to green, depending on whether each stock is down or up, creating a crazy quilt of winners and losers.’
- ‘District managers, however, are faced with a crazy quilt of funding streams for purposes that match the district's strategic priorities only by happenstance, if at all.’
- ‘It is a philosophical crazy quilt made from the sheets of our ‘wrecked romance with God.’’
- ‘Still, the film is a startling document for its time, and in its crazy quilt of themes could be screened credibly in a festival of avant-garde films.’
- ‘The masked areas form a crazy quilt of tan and blue lines - the colors of the two varieties of tape we use - and brown paper, used here and there to cover the white areas we have already prepared.’
- ‘The land between Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming, offers a crazy quilt of textures and colors.’
- ‘It's a crazy quilt of architecture built up over centuries with different styles at different moments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.