One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A patchwork quilt of a type traditionally made in North America, with patches of randomly varying sizes, shapes, colours, and fabrics.
- ‘Occasionally a cotton crazy quilt is seen, where scraps of fabrics in a myriad of cotton prints are used to cover the quilt top.’
- ‘Quilt lovers prize eye-catching quilts such as crazy quilts, log cabins, and Baltimore album quilts.’
- ‘My friend Joan, a wonderful quilter of crazy quilt handbags & other art pieces, has this to say to your question.’
- ‘On the floor of the sitting room is a late nineteenth-century hooked rug reminiscent of crazy quilts.’
- 1.1 A disorganized collection of things.‘colonial America was a crazy quilt of laws’
- ‘It is a philosophical crazy quilt made from the sheets of our ‘wrecked romance with God.’’
- ‘District managers, however, are faced with a crazy quilt of funding streams for purposes that match the district's strategic priorities only by happenstance, if at all.’
- ‘America here is presented as a play of reflections, its image a crazy quilt of the accumulated slights, projections and unrealizable longings of those outside its borders.’
- ‘The land between Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming, offers a crazy quilt of textures and colors.’
- ‘Many take advantage of a crazy quilt of regulations that often allows them to skirt legal oversight.’
- ‘The tiny squares change from red to green, depending on whether each stock is down or up, creating a crazy quilt of winners and losers.’
- ‘The pattern of voting equipment usage across the United States is a demographic crazy quilt.’
- ‘It is hamstrung by a crazy quilt patchwork of warring state commissions, sanctioning bodies, and dubious fight contracts.’
- ‘The big challenge is to come up with a program that stitches together today's crazy quilt of storage systems.’
- ‘This is not a linear, academic study but a living, breathing crazy quilt.’
- ‘The masked areas form a crazy quilt of tan and blue lines - the colors of the two varieties of tape we use - and brown paper, used here and there to cover the white areas we have already prepared.’
- ‘It's a crazy quilt of architecture built up over centuries with different styles at different moments.’
- ‘Still, the film is a startling document for its time, and in its crazy quilt of themes could be screened credibly in a festival of avant-garde films.’
- ‘They soon may be decorated with the crazy quilt of sponsors' logos that transforms racecar drivers into billboards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.