Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A powerful desire for something.‘a craving for chocolate’
longing, yearning, hankering, hunger, hungering, thirst, pining, desire, want, wish, fancy, urge, need, appetite, greed, lust, ache, burning, addiction, aspiration, aim, goalyen, itchcacoethesView synonyms
- ‘Hearty and filling, I came away from this part of the meal with my meat cravings satisfied, and my hunger stopped dead in its tracks.’
- ‘It alters the circuitry in the brain that regulates hunger and cravings for alcohol and nicotine.’
- ‘After all, you probably know what it's like to have your hunger cravings get the best of you.’
- ‘Lack of magnesium may show as muscle cramps or cravings for chocolate.’
- ‘I have got to try and control my cravings and stay away from drug users, which is going to be difficult because most of my friends are drug users.’
- ‘As your mind releases its desires and cravings, it releases the hold that it has on you.’
- ‘Next, delicate shrimp dumplings prepared with snowpea shoots satisfy our spring cravings.’
- ‘Hunger cravings are very powerful, and trying to resist them is a constant struggle.’
- ‘Some people combine a patch with gum to get through the hard parts, the cravings.’
- ‘It is thought to lower cravings for alcohol in people who have stopped drinking, but it is not exactly clear how it works chemically.’
- ‘He's a committed vegetarian who occasionally gives in to cravings for lamb.’
- ‘Now you can safely satisfy your cravings, since those very cravings have been transformed.’
- ‘The hunger and cravings are now non-existent, though I do begin to go a bit crazy.’
- ‘Hunger cravings can take control and send you on an eating binge that can actually lead to weight gain!’
- ‘During these periods of intense cravings there can be bouts of rage, brain fog and fatigue.’
- ‘Making ourselves miserable by these cravings and wishes is the unwholesome pattern of envy.’
- ‘It's very hard to get over your sugar cravings, but that is what people are addicted to.’
- ‘I get cravings for knowledge, and these cravings need to be fed straight away.’
- ‘Dates or dried fruit are great for satisfying sweet cravings.’
- ‘Two of the strongest cravings of human nature are the desire for knowledge and the desire for power.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.