Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing no intelligence or sensitivity.‘the crass assumptions that men make about women’‘an act of crass stupidity’
gross, utter, sheer, downright, total, out-and-out, outright, very great, complete, absolute, thorough, perfect, blatant, unmitigated, unqualified, glaring, undisguised, nakedstupid, insensitive, blundering, dense, thick, vacuous, mindless, witless, doltish, oafish, boorish, asinine, bovine, coarse, grossView synonyms
- ‘What I am saying is no one, absolutely no one, should have to put up with crass disrespect.’
- ‘I hope this doesn't appear crass, but it hints at the desperation of the survivors that we can help by sending rice to that region.’
- ‘Over the next decade, the crass stupidity of the words must have haunted them.’
- ‘It seems staggeringly crass and inappropriate, but I understand his need to record this terrible scene.’
- ‘As a result, the next generation was to tend towards political quietism and, worst of all, a crass materialism.’
- ‘There's nothing wrong with a healthy spirit of crass commercialism, or even a whiff of naked greed these days, is there?’
- ‘By setting such a trap or permitting an employee to do so on a river where otters are breeding is crass stupidity.’
- ‘It was a mindless and moronic act of political naivete and crass immaturity.’
- ‘Communal forces thrive on the crass ignorance of the masses concerning the essentials of their faith.’
- ‘It is very often cheesy and crass, and is completely pretentious from start to finish!’
- ‘Not only he is he a crass bigot, and therefore worthy of shooting, but absolutely illogical.’
- ‘Yet I am not advocating a crass rationalism in which reverence, empathy and love have no place.’
- ‘Some of the songs were straight from the top of the genius pile, while others were just crass, crude and downright stupid.’
- ‘In place of serious musical appreciation we got crass superficiality.’
- ‘It's crass, sadistic and appeals to the very worst in human nature.’
- ‘It's just a maelstrom of shrieking children, crass commercialism, and ratcheting credit card debt.’
- ‘To state baldly that it's purely between the woman and her doctor is crass and simplistic at the very least.’
- ‘To ignore such an evident flowering of talent and achievement is not only crass stupidity but a wasted opportunity.’
- ‘For them, the West was crass, materialistic and, of course, morally rotten.’
- ‘There's something fundamentally crass and vaguely offensive about all of this, isn't there?’
Late 15th century (in the sense ‘dense or coarse’): from Latin crassus solid, thick.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.