One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thick padded mat used to cushion a landing or fall in sports or the performance of stunts.‘we have crash mats and a harness, so it is safe’
- ‘There are crash mats provided at the exit points of the bouncy castle so that if anyone does fall off they land on the mats provided.’
- ‘There was a resounding smack as I landed on my back on a crash mat and struggled to breathe.’
- ‘Reese didn't realise Mark had set up an elaborate stunt and had laid out crash mats to cushion his fall.’
- ‘The 14-year-old Romanian gymnast arched in mid-air on her dismount from the uneven parallel bars then she landed softly on the crash mat.’
- ‘It was due to Glen's encouragement and ability to "spot" that he coaxed me into somersaulting in the air around his arm and onto a crash mat.’
- ‘Don't even try the stunt without plenty of practice and a crash mat!’
- ‘When you consider the distance they fall, a gymnast would expect a proper crash mat.’
- ‘She tumbled lightly onto the crash mats behind her.’
- ‘A portable crash mat is often used to protect fallers and the climber should stay within a height where is safe to fall from without injury.’
- ‘On that occasion, stage technicians forgot to put out the crash mats, and she eventually had to have the limb amputated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.