One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A helmet worn by a motorcyclist to protect the head in case of a crash.
- ‘He was wearing dark clothing and wore a crash helmet with a Mohican-style design on the front.’
- ‘There are plenty of precedents for laws protecting people from their own stupidity - the compulsory use of seat-belts and crash helmets being two obvious examples.’
- ‘Neither were wearing protective clothing or crash helmets.’
- ‘When you do see officers around they are only there to give out tickets for traffic regulation violations, like failure to wear crash helmets.’
- ‘Some advise wearing a motorcycle crash helmet with full-face visor, others say ski goggles work fine.’
- ‘Its 200 highly trained members dress in white overalls, padded clothing and crash helmets to protect themselves against police batons and shields.’
- ‘He was of medium build and wore dark jeans, a canvas coat and a peaked crash helmet with a luminous yellow design.’
- ‘Personally, I don't care whether a motorcyclist wears a crash helmet or not.’
- ‘The manner of the driving was reckless and the youths were clearly too young to have a licence and they were not wearing crash helmets.’
- ‘Most accidents happened on highways and involved motorcyclists and passengers not wearing crash helmets.’
- ‘They are no more guides than the bumpers at the front of a car or a crash helmet worn by a motorcyclist.’
- ‘That is why we have laws on seatbelts and crash helmets.’
- ‘They're cycling on the road with their crash helmets on.’
- ‘At the time of the accident Kevin was wearing a blue jacket, beige trousers and a white crash helmet.’
- ‘He had a crash helmet on, and each time I see a crash helmet now it is horrifying - it just brings it back.’
- ‘What is it about a crash helmet that is such an anathema to motorcyclists?’
- ‘The car was fitted with a roll cage and sports seats and drivers had to wear crash helmets and be strapped in.’
- ‘Some of these riders do not wear crash helmets, they roar down on the wrong side of the road, and sometimes in the early hours of the morning.’
- ‘I can't keep my crash helmet's visor down while driving, because it steams up as soon as I exhale, and I have a 25-minute journey to work.’
- ‘A large crowd watched the game and were amazed to see the players taking ‘big hits’ without padding or crash helmets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.